The Group Gallery
Here are a few photos of group members past and present. We hope to add to these in due course! If you have a modern css-complient browser then hovering over the photo will show a larger version of the picture.
- Kal Banger (PhD 1998) did a lot of the early work on perfluorovinyl-containing compounds derived from the CFC-replacement, HFC-134a
- Nick Barnes (PhD 2000) and Gareth Rhys Williams (PhD 2005) worked in the areas of fluorine-containing phosphines and phosphites
- Jackie Greenall (PhD 2004) worked on N-F fluorinating agents, with Gareth Rhys Williams, James Morey (MChem 2001) and Nick
- Dick Powell ex-ICI and visiting professor at UMIST with Jackie and Gareth at the ESFC in Bordeaux
- Gareth enjoying his trifle!
- Ian Crossley (PhD 2003) developed the trifluoropropynyl-containing compounds derived from the CFC-replacement, HFC-245fa. Here he is pictured with Eric Banks after winning the best presentation award at the RSC fluorine meeting, UMIST, 2002
- Andy Ballantyne worked on fluorine-containing, hydrophobic, room temperature ionic liquids. Pictured next to his poster at the 17th ISFC in Shanghai, 2005 - Boy was it hot!
- Gavin Potter carried out cyclisation work involving trifluoropropynyl-containing compounds. Here he is pictured next to his poster at the 17th ISFC in Shanghai, 2005
- Chris Mason was a post-doc in the group working on a fluoro-polymer related project, with Andy comparing notes at the poster display session at the Prague ESFC meeting in 2007
- Andy Ballantyne giving his lecture at the Prague ESFC meeting in 2007
- Chris Herbert who initiated our work on fluoroalkyl-containing phosphines won
the student presenter prize at the 9th RSC Fluorine meeting, in Southampton in 2009
- Alan Brisdon answering questions after his presentation at the Prague ESFC meeting in 2007
Alan Brisdon, Farouk Al'Issa, Nick Barnes, Anthony Thomas, Hana Alhanash, Fatma
Alhanash and Amina Ejganji after celebrating Hana and Fatma's PhD awards.